Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Oh . . . the things I dread

So to give you a little bit of insight into my weekly schedule. The week starts out on Saturday and Sunday preparing by reading up on all the procedures and skills we will be learning in Monday lab. Then we take a pre-lab skills quiz online on Sunday nights. The weekend is filled with reading on stuff I just can't believe that I will be doing. The on Monday we are taught the skills, Tuesday we practice, and on Wednesday we are tested on them.

I have already mastered personal hand hygiene, bedpans, baths, ambulating people (moving them for the laymen). And this week we are learning to put an NG tube (nasogastral tube fyi). Yep that's right I am learning how to stick a long piece of tubing up someone's nose, down their throat and into their stomach (making very sure to get the stomach and not the lungs). Leading up to each Monday we watch tons of videos on each procedure. I watch these wondering how much they have to pay someone to be taped getting an enema or a catheter. At this stage we are still practicing on Manikins, but I can't believe that I will eventually actually be doing this on a person in as few as six weeks from now. After all those times people have told you not to stick stuff up your nose . . .

So if anyone wants to be a guinea pig let me know . . . just kidding . . . I think they let us graduate right from the manikins right onto the patients in the hospital. I am however, looking for as many people as possible to practice heart rates and blood pressures.

No comments: